I have in great doubt that this post was written by Infosys' Naranyana Murthy. Nevertheless, this post has conspicuous success.
What he says, "I dislike people who stay back and work late on a regular basis". Not only are they spoiling the "work culture" as this post says, they are also skewing a lot of other things. Most of the times, these extra hours are not correctly recorded against the job assignment. And almost 100% of the time, nobody gets paid overtime for the extra work. So, the project's and management's cost and effort estimates are skewed and screwed. Nobody realizes the true cost of getting something done. This not only impacts the current project, but also impacts all future projects because estimates on future projects are to a large extent based on the cost of similar past projects. I have seen Indian managers deliberately shrink project schedules and team sizes expecting suckers to work late.
It's half past 8 in the office but the lights are still on...
AC's still running, coffee machines still buzzing...
And who's at work? Most of them ??? Take a closer look...
All or most specimens are ??
Something male species of the human race...
Look closer...again all or most of them are bachelors...
And why are they sitting late? Working hard? No Way !!!
Let's ask one of them...
Here's what he says...
What's there to do after going home...
Here we get to surf, AC, phone, food, coffee...
that is why I am working late....
Importantly no bosssssssssss!!!!
This is the scene in most research centers and software companies and other off-shore offices.
Bachelors "TIME-PASSING" during late hours in the office just because they say they've nothing else to do...
NOW WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES...
"WORKING" (for the record only) late hours soon becomes part of the institute or company culture.
With bosses more than eager to provide support to those "WORKING" late in the form of TAXI VOUCHERS, FOOD VOUCHERS and of course GOOD FEEDBACK, (oh, he's a hard worker...goes home only to change...!!).
They aren't helping things too...
To hell with bosses who don't understand the difference between "sitting" late and "working" late !!!
Very soon, the boss start expecting all employees to put in extra working hours.
So, My dear BACHELORS let me tell you, life changes when you get married and start having a family....office is no longer a priority, family is....and
That's when the problem starts...because you start having commitments at home too.
For your boss, the earlier "hardworking" guy suddenly seems to become a "early leaver" even if u leave an hour after regular time...after doing the same amount of work.
People leaving on time after doing their tasks for the day are labeled as WORK-SHIRKERS...
Girls who thankfully always (its changing now a days...though) leave on time are labeled as "NOT UP TO IT". All the while, the bachelors pat their own back and carry on "working" not realizing the work culture at their own place and never realize that they would have to regret at one point of time.
SO WHAT's the MORAL of the STORY??
- Very clear, LEAVE ON TIME !!!
- Never put in extra time - "UNLESS REALLY NEEDED"
- Don't stay back un-necessarily and spoil your company work culture which will in turn cause inconvenience to you and your colleagues.
IT'S A TYPICAL INDIAN MENTALITY THAT WORKING FOR LONG HOURS MEANS VERY HARD WORKING AND 100% COMMITMENT ETC.
The reason behind it just a simple, people who regularly sit late in the office don't know to manage their time.
All of you agree with this one?? !!!
Related Link : Speech of Mr. Narayan Murthy
Articles to Read :
01. INDIANS=>Don't Buy P-E-T-R-O-L
02. Beware of MOUSE (MOUSE ARM !!!)
03. Surface Computer : Microsoft
04. The Road is Never Long Between Friends !!!
05. Principle of Life !!! By Stephen Covey
06. FLY PEN TOP COMPUTER by LEAP FROG
07. The KPO Industry : New Horizen (Part-I)
08. The KPO Industry : KPO & BPO (Part-II)
09. The KPO Industry : Why GLOBAL concentrated to INDIA? (Part-III)
10. What next ? After the Death of One Love Bird.....
11. Amazing Photos From the Russian Website....
12. The Heaven on the Land....
13. Gorgeous photos of the Nature !!!
14. Awesome Pictures !!!
15. Magical Moving Images
16. 3 Words !!!
17. INDIA : The DARK Side !!!
18. Lightning burst captured in photo !!!
19. ...they take 9 months to download
20. Safe in Daddy's Arms !!!
21. Burning Rainbow !!!
22. Volcano oozes lava into the ocean !!!
23. The TULIP's World !!!
24. The Women World !!!
25. Play like a TOY !!!
26. Singapore Threatened by Poision Spider
27. Innocent Kids : Feel Your Childhood !!!
28. I meet SWAMI at our Factory !!!
29. Two Moons on 27th August !!!
30. Awesome Paper Art
31. Mother Power !!